Delco Cruisers Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Astontibs

Cecil County Dragway Weds 5 October

I'm bringing the GTO to Cecil County Wednesday night for the test and tune. I will be trying to get into the 12.6 range. Come on out and see what you can get in your car. That means you Carl D, can't be a poseur all your life.

UH OHHHHHH........:rolleyes: Sounds like a challenge to me Carl D......

Watcha ona do???????????????????

How about you Glenn? Can't drive that new Camaro like a grandpa all your life.

Well, that didn't go so well. My best run was the first at about 12.86. After that I had wheelhop and gear change problems. Definitely not what I was hoping for. I'll give a full rundown later.

Well here is the full story:

I tried drag racing at Cecil County, MD again last night, 5 Oct. Bottom line up front, even with the addition of long tubes I couldn’t improve on my personal best and I am very frustrated.

I should have known it wasn’t going to be a good night when I got a frantic call from my wife about 1 mile before I got to the track. She was stuck in NJ with her keys locked in the car and I needed to come get her. When I told her I was in MD, she told me to have fun but try to finish early to come bring her the keys. What an awesome wife I have!!! When I got to the track, the first thing I did was set my rear Koni’s to their firmest settings and drop my rear tire pressure to 18psi. Going through tech, I found out they are getting strict about the helmet and I almost wasn’t allowed to run. The helmet now needs to be DOT Snell approved and can be no older than 10 years old. The guy let me slide this time, but I guess the day of $10 Carlisle Swap Meet helmets are done.

1st run, screwed up the burnout, launched at 2000 RPM, car felt good

1.99 60ft, 12.87 ET, 110.17 MPH; Not bad for a first run.

2nd run, long burnout, launched at 2000 RPM again, missed 2nd

2.02 60ft, 13.40 ET, 108.56 MPH: The guy at the line scolded me for going through the staging lights and backing up. He said it was the 2nd time I did it and he would kick me out if I did it again…WTF that was the first time I ever did that.

3rd run, long burnout launched at 2000 RPM again, missed F’ing 2nd again

2.02 60ft, 13.41 ET, 108.57 MPH

4th run, long 2nd gear burnout in water box, Launched at 2500 RPM quick throttle, massive wheel spin which turned into violent wheel hop, then missed 2nd , I said screw it and lifted

2.13 60ft, and that is all I’m giving you

After that I decided to go save my wife. I don’t know if I will have the right helmet before the season ends and by the time next season rolls around, I expect to be demodding the GTO to get ready for my 2012 ZL-1, so this may be it.

let me give it a try... lol.

i'd set the rear shocks softer. you want the car to squat, transfer the weight of the car to the rear plant the rear tires. pull the shifter back like youre trying to rip it out of the floor. NO MERCY!!!

Im sure you still had some fun...and that is what its all about....I understand your frustration Alan...but I have to agree with Joey....you want that thing to squat and hook up....less burnout..... Grease the hell out of the shift linkage and check your adjustments....

Oh.....and buy the wife a magnetic key box to keep up under the car.....

Joe and Glen, when the car squats it actually unloads the tires making them more apt to spin or hop. You want the rear of the body to lift along with the front of the car which has the affect of pushing the tires into the pavement. There is a really good book that I read one time that explains that more fully. I should have bought an aftermarket shifter but I always said I would wait until I needed to change the clutch. No linkage to grease on an internal rail shifter.